This May Contain Spoilers For The Show.
If you've ever read the Outlander Series then you may have noticed repeated references to something happening in sets of three. It is truly a continuing thing though I believe in later books Herself may have either gotten away from the number three or by then so much had happen that things no longer remained in threes. Either way, below are a few things that happened in threes.
- Birds with 1 stone: Claire says Father Anselm is going to get three birds with one stone (giving Claire air, exercise and an explanation of the ritual of Perpetual Adoration).
- Cells: when Claire goes to find Jamie in Wentworth there are 3 cells.
- Conditions: 3 conditions to the marriage (3 days to get to know each other after, gown, and church.)
- Days: Three days of getting to know one another after being wed.
- Dougal pats her butt: Dougal touch’s her butt three times. (After Jamie and Claire wed, after her leathering, and when they get to the Red Boar inn.)
- Finding Jamie: There are three doors to pass before finding Jamie in Wentworth.
- Fleeing Scotland: Jamie, Claire, and Murtaugh on the run.
- Horses: If the Redcoat’s come in search of Jamie; Murtaugh is to ride with three horses to lure them away.
- Inches: The dungeon doors are 3 inches thick at Wentworth.
- Keys: Three keys to the three cells in Wentworth.
- Reasons: Jamie has three reasons to wed her (protect her, to bed her, and because he knew she was the one.)
- Reasons: Reasons to marry off Claire to Jamie (Protect her from Jack Randall, Effectively remove Jamie from running of chieftain, and to see if she were a spy that would run.)
- Rings: Franks gold ring, Brian’s ruby ring, and Jamie’s silver ring.
- Scar (Jamie): Jamie has a three pointed scar on his neck.
- Wolves: Three wolves left after Claire killed the first.
Dragonfly in amber
Dragonfly in Amber
- Bourbons: referring to the Monarchs possibly involved in a possible uprising in Scotland.
- Exclamation: When Claire and Jamie come home thinking the Lallybroch men are home Jenny says, “It’s so good to see you, my dearie!” three times.
- Frasers: Their living family - Jamie, Claire and Brianna.
- Gravestones: Jack Randall’s at St. Kilda’s, Jamie’s at St. Kilda’s and Faith’s???
- Hanging: When going out to Louise’s country estate they see three people hanging (2 men and a woman).
- Lovat Wives: Lord Lovat had three wives (Dowager Lady Lovat, Margaret Grant, and Primrose Campbell.)
- Men fading: three men fade off into the darkness to make sure John Grey wasn’t followed.
- Randall Brothers: William, Jonathan and Alexander.
- Randall’s Involved in Story: Frank, Jonathan, and Alexander.
- Return: Claire returns three years after leaving.
- Sending her back: Jamie tries to send Claire back three times and the last time he made her promise to go. (When he found out, when he was at the Abbey, and then at the end of Dragonfly.)
- Slept: Claire slept for three days at Fontainebleau, Louise’s country estate.
- Wakes: Claire awakens three times (in sorrow, joy and solitude).
- Artemis Amputees: Three men on Artemis missing appendages (Duncan Innes, Fergus, and Murphy).
- Breaths: Three breaths and then Claire cut to take the bullet out of Jamie’s scalp.
- Broken Finger: Jamie says (in Voyager) he broke his finger three times (Jack Randall, Culloden, and when he was taken to prison).
- Candlesticks: three branch candlestick in Grey’s office.
- Caves: 1 found in France by Jamie [DiA]; 2 Jamie lived in for 7 years [V]; and 3 the Abendawe Cave [V]
- Choices in Prison: three choices in prison without a woman (use each other, go mad, or take care of it yourself).
- Cocks Crow: Margaret Campbell says a cock crowing three times is back luck.
- Days: Three days since Jamie's been shot to when Claire returns to his side.
- Days of Freedom: Jamie was free from Ardsmuir for three days.
- Escape: Three days after riding to The Lime Tree Jamie escapes.
- Filled Glasses: Talking of Hector, John fills their glasses a third time.
- I Want Him: Claire has said "I want him." three times. (Twice at Craigh na Duh and once at Lallybroch)
- Men Interested in Jamie: Jack Randall, Duke of Sandringham, and Lord John Grey.
- Murray Daughters: Maggie, Kitty, and Janet.
- Ponies: When Claire looks out the window there are three ponies coming towards Lallybroch.
- Rules: Jamie gives three rules to Geneva (Only one night, can't call him Jamie, and can't love him).
- Scars (Ishmael): Ishmael has three vertical scars between his eyebrows.
- Waves: Three more waves to sink the Porpoise.
- Years: When Jamie lies with Geneva it has been three years since he was with Mary McNab.
Drums of Autumn
Drums of Autumn
- Bonnie Mary: Bonnie Mary set sail three days before they got to Charleston to send Young Ian home to Scotland.
- Characters of the Future in the Family (if you count it): Brianna, Roger and Claire.
- Days: Duncan and Ian spent three days searching for Pollyanne.
- Days: Jamie says they’ll leave in three days to take Pollyanne to the Indians.
- Days: A squall kept the passengers of the Glorianna below deck for three days.
- Days: Three days to deliver Petronella Mueller’s baby.
- Days: Roger sat on the cliff above the stones for three days trying to decide what to do.
- Gems (Stones): Bonnet stole three gems from Jamie and Claire (emerald, sapphire, and black diamond).
- Hanged Man: Three prisoners being hanged in the beginning of Drums of Autumn.
- Husbands: Jocasta had lost three husbands.
- Indians: Three Indians come to Jamie and Claire’s camp after Jamie kills the bear.
- Letters: Three letters fell out of the packet from Jenny (Fergus brought it to River Run from Cross Creek).
- Liquor: Three liquor smells in the air at Cross Creek (Rum, Brandywine, and Port).
- Miles: Bonnet tells Jamie it is only three miles to Ferry Trail Road.
- Minutes: Brianna was born three minutes after three in the morning.
- Things When They Wed: Jamie says he gave her three things when they wed (his name, his family, and the protection of his body).
The Fiery Cross
The Fiery Cross
- Apples: The Findlay boys give Roger three early apples.
- Baptized: Three children baptized (Germaine, Jemmy, and Joanie).
- Books: Fergus brought back three books from Wilmington (Essays by Michael de Montaigne, Daniel Defoe’s Moll Flanders, and B. Franklin’s The Means and Manner of Obtaining Virtue.)
- Bowls: Three of Claire’s bowl samples sprouted penicillium.
- Branches: Three branches used to hand the three condemned men.
- Calico Shirts: The Indian Mrs. Bug ran from was wearing three Calico shirts.
- Camerons: Jocasta married three Camerons.
- Chimes: Three chimes of the grandfather clock.
- Christie’s: Three Christie’s (Tom, Allan, and Malva).
- Condemned Men: Three condemned men after the battle.
- Counts: Jamie’s third count. (days since her courses when pregnant with Bree, how many months since her courses at gathering, and now how many drinks she’s had.)
- Count of Three: Bonnet will cut Claire’s throat on the count of three.
- Cups: Claire drank three cups of cider.
- Cursing: Bree cusses three times.
- Daughters: Jocasta had three daughters Clementina (John Cameron), Seonag (Black Hugh Cameron), and Morna (Hector Cameron).
- Days: Bree says they’ve been making wreaths and garlands for the last three days.
- Days: Jamie and Claire arrived at River Run three days after Jamie and Roger returned from Wylie’s Landing.
- Deep Breaths: Brianna takes three deep breaths and then falls asleep.
- Drenches: Jamie drenches himself three times at the spring by their malting shed.
- Faces: Three faces turn towards the door when Roger goes to meet Tom Christie.
- Fighting Women: Fighting woman (Mrs. Bug, Mrs. Chisholm, and Mrs. Aberfeldy).
- Girls: Three young girls are admiring the backside of Jocasta’s Perseus statue.
- Gold: Hector and Jocasta fled with three bars of gold.
- Grandchildren: Jocasta had three grandchildren (Seonag had one child and Clementina had two).
- Group of Three: The men of Ardsmuir worked in groups of three (Jamie, Tom and Duncan).
- Gulps: Roger drains his cup in three gulps.
- Heartbeats: When Jamie asks if she longs for the times with Frank, she waits three heartbeats before answering.
- Knocks: Mary Ann Beardsley knocked three times on the door (ghost).
- Manly Injuries: The first is BJR's when gave damages his crotch in their duel, then Hamish MacBeth's after the battler of Prestonpans in Dragonfly, then Stephen Bonnet being shot there in Fiery Cross.
- Memorize: Roger recites names but memorizes them after saying them three times.
- Men: Three men where entrusted with the Frenchman’s gold (Dougal MacKenzie, Hector Cameron, and a masked man who’s servant was Duncan Kerr.)
- Men: When Roger is headed into the Regulator’s lines he comes across three men who he thought were on their way to hunt rabbits.
- Men: During the battle three men come towards where Jamie is with Fowles.
- Men: Three men had Roger captive.
- Men: Three men of Ashe’s Company got alcohol poisoning.
- Minutes: Jamie adopted Fergus on the basis of three minute acquaintance.
- Mmphm: Claire gets Jamie to say Mmphm three times.
- Months: Three months since Claire’s last courses.
- On Three: On three Jamie and Roger move a rock together.
- Outlaws: Tyron hangs three outlaws captured during the battle.
- Passages: Hector has booked three passages on a boat (Hector, Jocasta, and Morna).
- Pieces of Cannon: The discharge of three pieces of cannon is the signal to form the line of battle.
- Private Parts: Claire says she’s preoccupied with the private parts of three men (Duncan, Jamie and Philip Wylie).
- Problems: Three problems at once (Ronnie Sinclair and Mrs. Lindsay get into a skirmish, the priest is taken, and someone steals a ham).
- Regulators: Roger comes across three Regulators with prostitutes when he crosses the creek.
- Songs: Roger learned three new songs at Jocasta’s wedding.
- Strides: Jamie reached Obadiah Henderson and Bree in three strides.
- Srides: Bonnet could reach Marsali in three strides.
- Trees Struck By Lightning (Seen By Claire): A Tree is struck by lightning in Voyager when they are on the coast by the silkie island after Ian is kidnapped. Another tree is struck by lightning in Drums of Autumn when Claire is on her way back from the Muellers (when the ghost takes her shoe to the cabin). Tree struck by lightning in FC that kills "ghost bear" and the horse Judas.
- Tries: Takes Jamie three tries to sheath his dirk.
- Trustees: Jocasta had three trustees to manage the property.
- Vows: Frank made Claire three vows when she came back pregnant (to keep her as his wife, treat the coming child as his own, and love her as he had before).
- Wedding Rings: Claire’s gold ring from Frank, Claire’s silver ring from Jamie, and Brianna’s ring from Roger.
- Weeks: Jamie, Claire and Roger were gone for three weeks (Brownville to raise militia).
- You Be Bloody Careful: Roger tells Bree “You be bloody careful,” three times when referring to her going to Hillsborough to paint Mrs. Sherston’s portrait.
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
An Echo in the Bone
An Echo in the Bone
Written in my Own Heart's Blood
Written in My Own Heart's Blood
- Three Deaths